Anyone can faux finish!
Welcome to How To Faux Finish!
Several years ago, I was looking for faux finish and painting resources on the Net. Painting interested me, and I wanted to experiment with some techniques in my own home.
Problem was, several searches netted me almost nothing. Lots of sites that sounded as if they might be informative, but once I entered the site I found they were only trying to sell me their how-to videos or classes.
Eventually, I took some classes and opened my own business as a painter. But I've always thought that the Net should have an informative, how to website for all the do-it-yourselfers out there.
So...here goes. The headline above is true...anyone can faux paint.
Of course, the very idea of do-it-yourself decorative painting frightens many people. After all, you haven't a shred of artistic ability, right?
Not to worry. With some determination and a little patience (and the right information, that’s where I come in), anyone can do it.
Faux painting is one of the hottest trends in home décor in recent years (and deservedly so!). The right paint technique can do so much for a space…create texture and depth, add a splash of color or elegance to an otherwise boring room, or simply create a mood. It’s affordable. And it’s easy.
This site is here to help guide you through the maze of products and techniques. You provide the will, and I'll provide you with all the information you need, from surface preparation to cleanup.
Some Tips for Navigating this Site
Links along the left hand side of this page will lead you to step-by-step instructions for creating your favorite look. Also check out some of the other links offering helpful tips, decorating advice, and fresh faux painting ideas.
You may want to start with the How To Paint page, which provides some quick tips on interior painting in general - from interior painting tips to advice on using paint brushes and rollers.
Need help deciding on a paint color? Check out the Choosing Colors page. This page will give you a general overview of paint color selection and help you to achieve the ambiance and look you are attempting to create.
Before you begin painting your room or space, take a look at the Surface Prep link. This page will walk you through the process of preparing your surfaces for paint.
If you need to remove wallpaper or borders before you paint, the Removing Wallpaper page will guide you through the process step-by-step.
The Faux Finishes page will provide information for paint techniques with the aim of replicating a surface, such as the leather faux finish or faux brick.
Faux Techniques addresses more general faux painting methods (such as sponge painting, color washing, or painting stripes). These techniques will allow more freedom of color choice.
Remember, with a little patience, you can create any of the paint effects found here!
- How To Paint
- Information on how to paint, including instructions for painting interior walls and ceilings, and cleaning and storing paint and supplies.
- Faux Finishes
- An introduction to creating different faux finishes such as faux leather, marble, denim, and many other replicated surfaces.
- Faux Techniques
- An introduction to using faux techniques such as color washing, sponging, ragging, and others to create interesting, textured surfaces.
- Surface Preparation
- Step-by-step instructions for preparing walls and surfaces for paint.
- Share Your Paint Pictures
- Share your paint pictures, photos, and experience with our readers.
- Choosing Paint Colors
- An introduction to choosing paint colors to enhance the mood, unity, and warmth of your space.
- Decorating With Paint
- Tips, ideas, and helpful advice for decorating with paint.
- Professional Painter
- Help with finding a professional painter or general contractor in your area. Free estimates.
- Painting Tools
- An introduction to the selection and use of many of the painting tools and supplies on the market today.
- Work From Home
- Information on building a legitimate, lucrative work from home business on the computer.
- Faux Finishing Classes
- Recommendations for faux finishing classes and how to start your own faux painting business.
- How-To-Faux-Finish.com Art Store
- A selection of affordable fine art to spruce up the interior of your home and set off those new faux finishes.
- Start A Business
- Start a business! Helpful information on starting a faux or interior painting business, as well as info for starting your own website.
- Frequently Asked Painting Questions
- Answers to some frequently asked painting questions.
- Faux Finish Blog
- The Faux Finish Blog keeps you up to date on any changes or updates to the how-to-faux-finish.com website.
- A collection of useful resources for the do-it-yourselfer, including helpful links for just about every facet of home decor and home improvement.
- Contact Me
- contact us
- Link To Me
- link to how-to-faux-finish.com